Tabletop Gaming?

• Is there any interest in a Tabletop/PnP gaming section? Not sure if there is a wide enough audience to have one.

• D&D player here, and used to play Shadowrun.

• Might actually be a discussion worthy of "should it have its own forum."

• @ScottAlanMiller said:

D&D player here, and used to play Shadowrun.

Have you tried the "new" Shadowrun? My brother wants to run or play in a game of it.

Myself I am a fan of horror games so when the Gumshoe system(s) came out I was in paradise.

• I'm a huge fan of Catan

• @coliver said:

@ScottAlanMiller said:

D&D player here, and used to play Shadowrun.

Have you tried the "new" Shadowrun? My brother wants to run or play in a game of it.

Not the new tabletop version, but I do have the new video game and have completed it. It's great.

• @thanksaj I love Catan :)

• @ScottAlanMiller Always wanted to play D&D and still haven't after all these years...... such a shame...

• @Slicer316 said:

@ScottAlanMiller Always wanted to play D&D and still haven't after all these years...... such a shame...

You should try it D&D 5e is actually a really good system. It takes a lot of the complexity out of the original games (specifically 3.5 and 4) while keeping the tone and style almost identical. It is a great introduction to pen and paper gaming, even if I play it with Roll20.

• @thanksaj said:

I'm a huge fan of Catan

I love Catan, I wish there were more gamers in my area so I could have a regular group.

Have you looked at Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne?

• @coliver I haven't, no.

• @thanksaj said:

@coliver I haven't, no.

If you have a game store near you, check and see if they have an open table night. I used to go to Pair-a-Dice games in Rochester and it was awesome to play some of the things that they had on offer.

I'm a huge fan of tabletop gaming... just hard to do when you live in a very rural area.

• My problem with tabletop/boardgaming is that I love the epic lengthed games like Twilight Imperium. 6-8 hours for a solid game day is hard when you have kids.

• @Kelly said:

My problem with tabletop/boardgaming is that I love the epic lengthed games like Twilight Imperium. 6-8 hours for a solid game day is hard when you have kids.

Or really any responsibilities. I have wanted to try Twilight Imperium for awhile but can't find the time/people to do it with.

• @coliver said:

@Kelly said:

My problem with tabletop/boardgaming is that I love the epic lengthed games like Twilight Imperium. 6-8 hours for a solid game day is hard when you have kids.

Or really any responsibilities. I have wanted to try Twilight Imperium for awhile but can't find the time/people to do it with.

That really is the hard part. It is completely worth it if you can. Another, quicker game that I enjoy in the 4x genre is Eclipse. They did a really good job building that one and making it very replayable.

• When we lived in Texas we had an amazing D&D campaign running but we had to cut it short when we moved back to New York. It is so hard to find a fun group that really role plays and is able to get together with any regularity.

• @ScottAlanMiller said:

When we lived in Texas we had an amazing D&D campaign running but we had to cut it short when we moved back to New York. It is so hard to find a fun group that really role plays and is able to get together with any regularity.

This is my problem right now. I started playing D&D in college (a little late I know) and when I started working I lost a lot of those connections. I am trying to get a group of friends together in person and on Roll20 to do a bi-weekly Tremulus or Trail of Cthulhu game with the hopes that this will branch into something else.

• In high school I ran the school's gaming society. We ran five games a week and sometimes one on the weekends. We had our own publication too. And during the summer our game was so solid that a teacher convinced her son, a professional table top game writer, to drive over an hour to run a game for us once a week. It was an amazing introduction to table top role playing!

• @ScottAlanMiller said:

In high school I ran the school's gaming society. We ran five games a week and sometimes one on the weekends. We had our own publication too. And during the summer our game was so solid that a teacher convinced her son, a professional table top game writer, to drive over an hour to run a game for us once a week. It was an amazing introduction to table top role playing!

That is really cool, you must have grown up in a fairly large school. Gaming wasn't that popular in our school and the students who didn't weren't the most socially accepted, I didn't see it in its fullest until I started freshman year of college and got involved in the computer club.

• @coliver said:

That is really cool, you must have grown up in a fairly large school. Gaming wasn't that popular in our school and the students who didn't weren't the most socially accepted, I didn't see it in its fullest until I started freshman year of college and got involved in the computer club.

My class graduated 64.

Looks like your connection to GAMRHAUS was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.