Tabletop Gaming?

• Is there any interest in a Tabletop/PnP gaming section? Not sure if there is a wide enough audience to have one.

• D&D player here, and used to play Shadowrun.

• Might actually be a discussion worthy of "should it have its own forum."

• @ScottAlanMiller said:

D&D player here, and used to play Shadowrun.

Have you tried the "new" Shadowrun? My brother wants to run or play in a game of it.

Myself I am a fan of horror games so when the Gumshoe system(s) came out I was in paradise.

• I'm a huge fan of Catan

• @coliver said:

@ScottAlanMiller said:

D&D player here, and used to play Shadowrun.

Have you tried the "new" Shadowrun? My brother wants to run or play in a game of it.

Not the new tabletop version, but I do have the new video game and have completed it. It's great.

• @thanksaj I love Catan :)

• @ScottAlanMiller Always wanted to play D&D and still haven't after all these years...... such a shame...

• @Slicer316 said:

@ScottAlanMiller Always wanted to play D&D and still haven't after all these years...... such a shame...

You should try it D&D 5e is actually a really good system. It takes a lot of the complexity out of the original games (specifically 3.5 and 4) while keeping the tone and style almost identical. It is a great introduction to pen and paper gaming, even if I play it with Roll20.

• @thanksaj said:

I'm a huge fan of Catan

I love Catan, I wish there were more gamers in my area so I could have a regular group.

Have you looked at Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne?

• @coliver I haven't, no.

• @thanksaj said:

@coliver I haven't, no.

If you have a game store near you, check and see if they have an open table night. I used to go to Pair-a-Dice games in Rochester and it was awesome to play some of the things that they had on offer.

I'm a huge fan of tabletop gaming... just hard to do when you live in a very rural area.

• My problem with tabletop/boardgaming is that I love the epic lengthed games like Twilight Imperium. 6-8 hours for a solid game day is hard when you have kids.

• @Kelly said:

My problem with tabletop/boardgaming is that I love the epic lengthed games like Twilight Imperium. 6-8 hours for a solid game day is hard when you have kids.

Or really any responsibilities. I have wanted to try Twilight Imperium for awhile but can't find the time/people to do it with.

• @coliver said:

@Kelly said:

My problem with tabletop/boardgaming is that I love the epic lengthed games like Twilight Imperium. 6-8 hours for a solid game day is hard when you have kids.

Or really any responsibilities. I have wanted to try Twilight Imperium for awhile but can't find the time/people to do it with.

That really is the hard part. It is completely worth it if you can. Another, quicker game that I enjoy in the 4x genre is Eclipse. They did a really good job building that one and making it very replayable.

• When we lived in Texas we had an amazing D&D campaign running but we had to cut it short when we moved back to New York. It is so hard to find a fun group that really role plays and is able to get together with any regularity.

• @ScottAlanMiller said:

When we lived in Texas we had an amazing D&D campaign running but we had to cut it short when we moved back to New York. It is so hard to find a fun group that really role plays and is able to get together with any regularity.

This is my problem right now. I started playing D&D in college (a little late I know) and when I started working I lost a lot of those connections. I am trying to get a group of friends together in person and on Roll20 to do a bi-weekly Tremulus or Trail of Cthulhu game with the hopes that this will branch into something else.

• In high school I ran the school's gaming society. We ran five games a week and sometimes one on the weekends. We had our own publication too. And during the summer our game was so solid that a teacher convinced her son, a professional table top game writer, to drive over an hour to run a game for us once a week. It was an amazing introduction to table top role playing!

• @ScottAlanMiller said:

In high school I ran the school's gaming society. We ran five games a week and sometimes one on the weekends. We had our own publication too. And during the summer our game was so solid that a teacher convinced her son, a professional table top game writer, to drive over an hour to run a game for us once a week. It was an amazing introduction to table top role playing!

That is really cool, you must have grown up in a fairly large school. Gaming wasn't that popular in our school and the students who didn't weren't the most socially accepted, I didn't see it in its fullest until I started freshman year of college and got involved in the computer club.

• @coliver said:

That is really cool, you must have grown up in a fairly large school. Gaming wasn't that popular in our school and the students who didn't weren't the most socially accepted, I didn't see it in its fullest until I started freshman year of college and got involved in the computer club.

My class graduated 64.